Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions that are not answered on this page feel free to call us at 1-(800)-478-8697.

  • Do I have to pay you?

    In many cases, the answer is "yes."

    If you belong to a motor club such as AAA, USAC, Good Sam, or GE Financial; have emergency road service through your vehicle insurance; or have a warranty that includes emergency road services, you may be able to call the toll-free phone number provided and ask them to dispatch Parks Highway Service & Towing; then they will pay us directly. Otherwise, you pay us and, if you are covered, get reimbursed for all or part of the expenses. We can not bill an insurance company unless we have been dispatched by them.

  • What happens if I have been in an accident?

    In the case of an accident call 9-1-1 first.

    If there are injuries, more than one vehicle involved, a game animal hit, or property damage, the first thing to do is call 9-1-1. Be aware that in rural Alaska, an officer may not be able to respond or may be hours away. If a Trooper is unable to respond and there has been over $2,000 in damage (not very much), you will have to file an accident report yourself. If you have collision insurance on your vehicle, it can be towed to a body shop. In that case, the body shop will pay for the tow and the insurance company will pay the body shop for both the tow and the repairs.

  • What if my vehicle has been impounded by the Alaska State Troopers?

    If your vehicle was impounded by the Troopers, we have been instructed to tow it and store it in a secure, insured, fenced, and locked yard to protect your vehicle and your property. If the troopers have told us that the vehicle can be released, we can release the vehicle and property to the registered owner of vehicle with full cash payment of the charges related to the services which we have performed including storage. Any questions about the impound itself and the reasons for it will need to be addressed to the Troopers.